You have no items in your shopping basket.
What should you do if a baby is choking?
It can be frightening when a baby is choking. Do you know what you would do? Many parents and guardians would hesitate to do anything for fear of hurting the baby.
In this blog, we will be defining what you should do if a baby is choking.
If a baby is choking
The baby may attempt to cough.
If the choking is only mild, this will clear the obstruction - the baby may cry and should now be able to breathe effectively.
If the cough becomes ineffective, then follow the steps below.
1. Back blows
- Shout for help, but don’t leave the baby yet.
- Sit or lay the baby over your lap, face down, head lowest, supporting the head.
- Give up to 5 sharp blows between the shoulder blondes with the heel of your hand. The aim is to relieve the choking with each blow rather than give all 5.
If the obstruction is still not cleared:
2. Chest thrusts
- Turn the baby's chest uppermost (lay them on your aim). Support the head and lower it below the level of the chest.
- Use two fingers to give up to 5 chest thrusts. These are similar to chest compressions but sharper and delivered at a slower rate. The aim is to relieve the choking with each thrust rather than give all 5.
NEVER perform abdominal thrusts on a baby.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2
- Keep repeating steps 1 and 2.
- If the treatment seems ineffective, shout for help. Ask someone to call 999/112 for emergency help, but don’t interrupt the treatment while the baby is still conscious.
- If the baby becomes unconscious, START CPR.
Where can I find paediatric first aid training courses and qualifications?
The Mandatory Training Group is the leading UK provider of accredited statutory and mandatory training courses for all sectors, including health and social care, education, local government, private companies, charitable and third sector organisations.Alternatively, you can contact our helpful Support Team byclicking hereto tell us about your paediatric first aid training courses and qualifications.
Online paediatric first aid training courses and qualifications
What our clients say...
Frequently asked questions about statutory and mandatory training courses for domiciliary care workers
Here at The Mandatory Training Group, we receive many questions about the statutory and mandatory training courses for domiciliary care. We have selected a few of these questions and answered them below.
Still have some questions which you would like us to help you with?